Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Does Father Know Best? Part II: Safety

After lecturing you on a hands-off approach to letting dads be dads, I think a word regarding some common sense safety is in order:

James, our 6-month old, LOVES to put things in his mouth. Absolutely anything. He licks it, sucks it, chomps it, kisses it.

Steve, my 24-year old, LOVES to put things in James' mouth. Absolutely anything. Especially adult food items of which I disapprove heartily.

Yesterday, Steve was making smoothies in the kitchen. I was holding James doing various other chores. I walked into the kitchen with James to see what daddy was up to. Daddy promptly offered a freshly peeled banana to James to see what kind of antics the banana and James' mouth could get themselves into. James licked the banana. He reached out to touch it. He licked it again. He put his mouth around the end. "Stop!" I said, "I don't want James to chomp off the banana in his mouth."

"He can't do that," Steve answered. "Stop worrying." Well, you never know how hardy a baby's gums can be...

Steve again offered the banana's tip to James' gaping mouth. "See," he said, "it's no problem," as he pulled a half-banana away from James. Where did the other half go? That's right... it was firmly wedged into - and taking up the entirety - of our baby's oral cavity, sealed behind tightly closed lips.

On instinct, we immediately pried James jaws open and pulled out a good 2 inches of solid banana. He screamed that we had taken away such a precious treasure, and I gave Steve my very motherly "told-you-so" stare. I have perfected this gaze in only 6 brief months. I still am not sure which triumph I am happier about: that James did not choke, or that I was "right," and Steve was a nincompoop. (Somehow, that just makes you feel good sometimes...)

Nevertheless, it's important to know what to if your baby DOES choke or lose consciousness. Many offices that offer birthing classes also offer "baby care" classes that teach infant choking and CPR techniques. These classes are often relatively cheap, and need I explain why they are worth your time?? You never, ever want to be caught in a situation when your child is choking, and you don't know what to do. The Red Cross also offers day courses (just ask at your nearest local branch), even ones you can take online at your own convenience.

At the very least, post instructions for infant CPR and choking techniques somewhere in your home. My mom hung a poster inside a kitchen cabinet when we were kids. Everyone in the house knew where to look, if we ever needed an on-the-spot reminder of what to do, should one of our siblings choke. She always pointed it out to babysitters too. Here is an easy to print guideline for your home. If nothing else, make sure your spouse and any older siblings have read through it and practiced on a teddy bear. And be sure to mash your bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment